Saturday, April 22, 2017

S’s for Starry and Saanwariya |#AtoZChallenge


Greetings!

Today is a busy day for the Sea Captain. Got me some translation work to conquer. Funny though how this reflects on my blog post.
How? for the A to Z challenge today we got the letter S, and my kids love this letter so much, that they gave me many poems beginning with it.
Too bad I had to choose only 3, more than that and the post will explode, especially that....I too got me 2 cinquains to display :)
Me and my students would like to take your royal highnesses in a trip that visits Disney characters, white winters, starry, starry nights spend in high towers  and even some romance!
Ready? Here we go :D



source

Snow
White, bright
Freezing, melting, repeating
Comes in only one season
Freeze

By Gwan Hatim

Teacher’s note: this one almost made it to top 3 in my cinquain poem competition, Gwan’s quite the artistic type, in fact during this year she learned crochet, made great progress in her drawing and now she writes poetry! Maybe this is the second poem for her on my blog but  she wrote plenty more, time for a book don’t  you think :)

................................................


Shriek
Harmful, ugly
Saving, destroying, loving
Both good and bad
Patient 

By Ahmed Khalid, 4D

Teacher’s note: Ahmed Khalid is a favorite student of mine, serious and clever, I love his poem because of the depth it shows, how he captured the sole of our Green Ugly adored Ogre.

................................................


source

Stars
Bright, cute
Lighting, shining, glowing
Change sadness to happiness
Diamonds

By Fatima Abdalla, 4B

Teacher’s note: a beautiful poem by Fatima who proved she was paying attention during my lesson, I used Stars=Diamonds to teach them metaphor and here you have it.

................................................


My Hero!
source

Sharkboy
Small, brave
 biting, helping, swimming
he lives inside the ocean
kind

by Al-basil Mohamed,
Mazin Rashid
and Luther Louis Mark, 4A

The making of a hero
source

Teacher’s note: I’m a Sharkboy fan, and this sweet little poem is a cute tribute. Again we got winner 3 Mazin Rashid, along with his friend Luther and under the supervision of one of the smartest boys in school Al-Basil, this trio has it all, and more poems that is enough to form a poetry collection.
Hey! I should be seriously thinking about making that happen (eyes shining with excitement staring into the horizon...or the wall).

....................................................

Now My poems.

source


Starry
Starry night
aboard the clock tower
well-lit. ..flying over a
minaret

The representation of peace


Lighthouses, clock towers and minarets, all I find very charming.

 .................................................

SRK as Mohan in Swades

Saanwariya
Who I
Rest my dreams
On his silver armor
My love.

Gayatri as Gita singing Saanwariya to her absent lover Mohan


Saanwariya? (my love) is a Hindi word I learned while watching the Bollywood movie Swades (one of Sharukh Khan’s best roles, and you all know how a big fan I am).
It is a song that Gita (Gayatri Joshi ) sings while waiting for her lover Mohan ‘SRK’ to return from a work trip. Very beautiful and relaxing, the whole film is, filled with homesickness (my name), empowering women, innocent love and respect for cultures and elders and way more.

Hope you enjoyed today’s poems.


See you next time! 



............................................................................................................


Cinquain is a non-rhyming 5-lined poem pioneered by Adelaide Crapsey (1878 - 1914). There are many ways to write it, weather relaying on the number of words or syllables in each line, which makes it always end up in a diamond-like shape. In this A to Z challenge I will be following the two and sometimes a mix of both types. I’ll also add some cute cinquains by my grade 4 talented students. Hope you enjoy our poetry.

7 comments:

  1. Your students did a super job! I admire anyone who is clever enough to use word play to create a nice flowing poem. Happy Saturday and a2zing!

    ~Curious as a Cathy
    Art Sketching Through the Alphabet “S” (Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they did, didn't they? :) I'm so proud of their work. Thank you for passing by.

      Delete
  2. They are lucky they got you sea captain.. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete